CONWAY, S.C. – The Coastal Carolina women’s soccer team hits the road to take on the Marshall Thundering Herd on Oct. 22 in Huntington, W.Va., at 1 p.m. ET.
- Coastal has a 3-10-2, 0-6-2 Sun Belt record this year.
- The Chants have scored 11 goals on the season with four coming in the first frame and seven in the second.
- Lou Martinet leads the team with nine points after scoring four goals and recording one assist this season.
- In its last match, CCU was able to hold conference leader South Alabama to just six shots while down to 10 women in the second half.
- CCU has a 2-0-1 record when scoring two or more goals and an even 1-1-0 record when leading in shots.
Last Time Out
- The Chants fell 1-0 to South Alabama at CCU Soccer Stadium on Thursday.
- CCU conceded an early goal in the seventh minute but was able to hold the Jaguars to just two more shots in the remainder of the half.
- In the 43rd minute, Coastal keeper Vivienne Carr made a crucial save to hold the score at 1-0 but was deemed outside of her area and received a straight red card for denying a goal-scoring opportunity.
- Substitute keeper, Hope Morrow replaced Carr to make her first appearance of the season and made a huge save to hold the score at 1-0 at the end of the first period.
- The Chants were outshot 6-2 in the second frame with Taylor Tolson and Emily Petring logging Coastal’s two shots of the match.
Scouting the Opponent
- Marshall has a 6-8-1, 1-7-0 Sun Belt record and ranks 12th in the Sun Belt.
- The Thundering Herd downed the Troy Trojan 2-1 to secure their lone conference win on Sept. 30.
- Marshall suffered a 4-1 defeat to Georgia State in its last contest.
- Bailey Fisher is one to watch on the Thundering Herd offense. The sophomore has bagged six goals on the season to place atop the Sun Belt and is tied for 14th in the NCAA with four game-winning goals.
- Abi Hugh could also pose a threat to the CCU defense as she leads the team with four assists and has tallied two goals of her own.
- CCU has a 0-0-1 record versus the Thundering Herd.
- The lone matchup occurred in 2022 and resulted in a 2-2 draw.
- Last time out, the Chants took a 2-0 lead with the help of a goal from Julia Ziegenfuss and an assist from Ella Schad but Marshall was able to level the score with a late equalizer in the 88th minute.
- This is the first time the Chants will play at Hoops Family Field in Huntington, W.Va.
For complete coverage of CCU women’s soccer, follow the Chants on social media @CoastalWSoccer (Twitter), facebook.com/CCUChanticleers (Facebook), @GoCCUSports (Instagram), or visit the official home of Coastal Carolina Athletics at goccusports.com