A celebration honoring the impact of women on Huntsville’s music ecosystem is marking its fifth anniversary with a weeklong party.
Conceived in 2018 as Women in Music Weekend, festivities have been extended and rechristened as Women in Music Week (WIMW). The celebration runs through Sept. 24.
“Last year, we pivoted Women in Music Weekend from October to September, so we’d have another really strong pillar event to help build excitement for Huntsville Music Month,” said Huntsville Music Officer Matt Mandrella. “Expanding the programming from 3 to 10 days this year is one of the easiest decisions our team made.”
Celebrating diversity and positivity
During WIMW, more than 50 female artists will perform at venues throughout the City of Huntsville. Among those is Kaleka Jones, a member of the Huntsville Music Board and owner of Love Jones Productions. She’s been involved in Huntsville’s music scene since 2012.
WIMW – and Huntsville Music Month as a whole – is as much about artist development as it is the music-makers. Jones hopes the ecosystem continues to not only spotlight the talents of local performers, but also give them the skills necessary to build their careers.
“It’s empowering to watch the Huntsville music scene grow and to watch Women in Music Weekend become Women in Music Week,” she said. “I’m excited to celebrate the diversity and positivity that comes with giving the biggest platform to our best artists.”
Love Jones kicked off the festivities at The Orion Amphitheater on Sept. 15, but there are more events ahead:
- Sept. 19 – A special edition of Mixx Madness at the Camp ft. an all-female lineup of DJs, including Lashay B, DJ Queendom, DJ Lisha and DJ Tarica
- Sept. 20 – Women in Music HSV Night at The Rocket City Fair Concert Series ft. Lana White & The Car Notes and The Dawn Osbourne Band
- Sept. 21 – R&B Vibes Live at The Camp featuring Nina Marie, Alisha Patrice, Layna Vonne, Lockhart Music, Chelsea, Who? and Keona J
- Sept. 22 – Concerts on the Dock at Lowe Mill ft. Kim Coffey and Friends and Common Man
- Sept. 23 – Wanda Band at Jeff & Blues (Brandi Carlile afterparty)
- Sept. 24 – The WIMW Finale at The Orion with live performances by The Secret Sisters, The Ladies of Opera Huntsville, and The Women in Music HSV Girl Jam ft. Lisa Williams, Margaret Bibb, Carly Danyel, Anna Ferguson, Alli Johnson, Christy Beard, MaryGrace Waggoner, Lisa Harper-Chang, Nina Marie, Mollie Cole, Jayne Tran, Alexis Jackson, Delaney Faulds, Lockhart Music, Emma Klein, Cassandra Mitchell, Tanya Harris, April Pendergrass, Lateazia, Keyona, and Nykera